Friday, July 13, 2007

"Mommy? Can I have a drink?"

This is what I hear at least every 30 minutes to an hour of every day. My little Bug is constantly thirsty.

Do I deprive my son of liquids? No. Do I let him live on carbonated drinks or sugar filled juices? No. In fact all that my son drinks is the milk from his cereal, 1 8 oz cup of 2% milk and then crystal light for the rest of the day. For you non weight conscious people out there, with th exception of a very small amount of sodium, it's basically flavored water.

He gets at least 8 oz each time and he drinks it. He doesn't take a sip then pour the rest down the sink or let it sit there and get warm then pour it out. He sucks it down and in many cases asks for more.

So I being the overly obsessive, sometimes hypochondriac, mother that I can be start searching the net. I plug excessive thirst and urination into the search engine and the first thing that comes up is Diabetes. OMG Not something that I or any other parent wants their child to have. It's a major life style change and having the Dad he has a major punishment. He's one that could live on chocolate. He loves it. I know. Diabetics don't have to give up all of the foods they love. They have to find healthy alternatives. But why should a sweet 4 year old child have to be put through that. Hi favorite things are treats for him. Not an every day part of his diet but he's still going to miss those favorite things.

I know. I could be getting ahead of myself but that's what I do. I worry and over analyze only to have the situation turn out to be much different then the nightmare that I've created.

So the reason for this blog is this. I'm putting it out there to you guys. Have you heard of anything other the diabetes and dehydration that could be making my Bug have these symptoms. Based on his weight he should be getting a minimum of 23 oz of water a day and he gets more then that. At least twice that and more when he plays outside.

So any ideas please let me know. I'll include a pic of his angelic face!


No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online